Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Nail Biter

I have gnawed my fingers ever since I can remember. I have tried several times to stop, each attempt has failed. This is my worst habit by far. I am creating this blog in an effort to use the 'awareness' method to stop this. I will be posting progressive pic of my nails in the hopes that doing this will make me think twice when I feel that crack addict like urge come on. I will think of tis blog when I find myself examining my nails looking for the next victim. Here are my nails as they currently look, this is very typical.


As you can see I fancy the mutilation of the skin around the nails and the constant 'upkeep' of my cuticles to the point of raw open wounds.


When I have a meeting with someone at work I look at their nails, I think 'wow this guy has his shit together, look at his nails!' under that same train of thought were I to have a meeting with myself I would think 'wow this guy is a fucking mess!'




I have been wanting to record this for sometime and am finally getting around to doing it. To me this one habit reflects the inner turmoil that is going on inside of me and if I can conquer it, then the sky is the limit!


The physiological affect this has on me is incredible. At times it completely runs y life. As if I were a meth addict or something. Such a fucked up little thing is just so huge.


In any case I have had it with this and am now putting forth true effort to put an end to the torture. I hope that this record will help others who face the same challenge and will show you that there is another way and there is hope yet for your poor little mutilated digits! 

5 comments:

  1. I can relate as a business professional with nails a lot nubbier than yours so it's interesting to compare notes.

    Please let me know if any of the following apply to you: (a) unless I make a conscious effort, I'll gnaw my nails in front of other people; (b) I've long been accepted as a nail biter by family, friends, colleagues and those that know me. (c) though I appear shameless about it, I'm disgusted that I eat my nails; (d) on a few occasions I've been asked in company, "You bite your nails??" To avoid public humiliation, I respond matter-of- factly, "Yes, I'm a severe nail-biter, always have been." (e) all efforts to curb the habit have failed and no matter how hard I try I can never control the urge to bite my nails. (f) I also bite my toenails (privately, of course).

    I know there are many people as committed as me who would probably answer yes to the above. I hope you're not one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a severe nailbiter, both finger and toes, i'd like to hear from anyone else who also suffers with this
      lucyharrisAT123mailDOTorg

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a also a severe nailbiter, and i have found that starting with just one finger helps a lot. I make a conscious effort not to bite my little finger, did that for 2 months and regained my nail on that finger, then i started not biting on the next and then the next. And i have now regained my nails on four fingers, i only have my index fingers and thumbs left. You cant imagine the joy I get from looking at my "normal" nails. That first finger I managed to stop biting gave me so much more confidence and happiness. Take you nail biting one step at a time and you will see that after a while the urge to progress and take care of your nails trumphs the urge to bite.

    ReplyDelete